Crystal’s Classic Penne a la Vodka
Recipe: Submitted by Bradford Haupt, COO, Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces®, LLC in honor of his late daughter Crystal. This was her #1 favorite meal from about age 5 until her passing at 29 years old
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Yield: 6 -4 ounce portions
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 lb Penne rigate pasta
1 – 24 oz jar Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Classic Vodka Sauce
2 cups Frozen baby peas
4 – 1/16” thick slices Prosciutto, diced (Substitute diced pancetta if your local deli doesn’t have the ability to custom-cut meats like prosciutto)
3 oz Fontina cheese, coarse grated (about 1 cup)
1/2-3/4 tsp fine grain iodized sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- With a freshly-sharpened chef’s knife, dice the prosciutto into small pieces
- In a 10” skillet, lightly pan fry diced prosciutto until slightly browned and set aside.
- In an 6+ quart pot, boil 4-6 quarts of water with 1/2-3/4 tsp of salt
- Add pasta to water once it achieves a rolling boil. Stir and reduce heat once boiling is re-attained. Stir regularly. Cook according to directions on the box using the lower cook time number to assure al dente texture.
- In a microwave-safe covered dish, steam the peas on high for 2 minutes. Drain excess water
- Drain the pasta very well in a colander. Do not rinse.
- Into the pot where you cooked the pasta, empty the jar of Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Classic Vodka Sauce and warm on low heat.
- Add the drained pasta, peas and prosciutto to the pot with the warmed Vodka Sauce and mix well with a large, sturdy spoon. Cook over low heat for two minutes stirring regularly, until all ingredients are hot
- Serve hot in an appropriately sized bowl or on a large dinner plate. Garnish with coarse grated fontina cheese and a sprig of fresh curly parsley
Serving suggestion: Serve with Caesar salad or crudités and crusty bread with a seasoned olive oil dip. Pair with chilled sauvignon blanc or ice-cold lemon-lime soda.