Mama’s Yolanda’s Healthy Bolognese Sauce
Recipe: Created by Chef Darek W Haupt, CEC for Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces®, LLC
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Yield: Approximately 14 – 8oz portions
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
7 cloves fresh garlic, sliced thin
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, 96/4% lean, broken up
4 oz turkey sausage, broken up
3 – 24 oz jars of Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Authentic Italian Tomato Gravy
1/8 cup salt
1 cup each Fresh basil and fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, both roughly chopped (Substitute 1 tbsp each, dry basil and parsley if needed)
salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in large 5+ quart pot over medium-high heat
- Add garlic and stir until light brown. Watch closely to avoid over-roasting the garlic
- Reduce heat. Add the beef and sausage in the same pot and sauté until completely cooked.
- Drain residual fat in a colander
- Return meat back to the same pot and add Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Authentic Italian Tomato Gravy
- Turn heat on high and bring to a boil then reduce to low heat. Stir often
- Simmer uncovered with a spatter screen for 1 hour.
- Taste and add salt as desired
- Add basil and parsley. Stir. Serve hot
Serving suggestion: Serve hot over your favorite al dente pasta with fluffy, freshly grated Pecorino-Romano cheese using a fine Microplane®. This helps reduce your cheese/fat intake while maximizing your enjoyment! Add a basic arugula salad for a complete meal.
Refrigerate any leftover sauce (with or without any leftover pasta) and consume within one week. Leftover sauce can also be frozen if you want or need to preserve it longer than one week. Reheat in microwave or appropriately sized pan on your stovetop after thawing, if frozen. When reheating, many people like to add a little extra Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Authentic Italian Tomato Gravy to ensure consistency, so be sure to have extra on hand.