Mama Yolanda's Easy Neapolitan Meatballs
Recipe: Created by Chef Darek W Haupt, CEC for Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces®, LLC
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Yield: Approximately 15 golf-ball-size meatballs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 pound beef chuck, ground fresh (85/15%)
1 egg, large, beaten
1 tsp garlic salt, coarse grind with parsley
4 tbsp Panko bread crumbs, seasoned
4 tbsp Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2-1/2 tbsp Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Authentic Tomato Gravy
12 oz. Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Authentic Tomato Gravy
- In a large bowl, gently mix first six ingredients until well blended; over-mixing will make meatballs less tender. This mixing is best done with your hands, but a large flat spoon will suffice
- Form mixture into golf ball-sized meatballs and place in 9×12 baking dish leaving room in between each meatball to allow for even cooking.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven until just cooked through, about 10 minutes
- In a medium-size pot, heat the 12 oz of Mama Yolanda’s Traditional Sauces® Authentic Tomato Gravy to a simmer.
- Gently add meatballs to the Authentic Tomato Gravy to finish cooking, about 10 minutes more at low to medium-low heat maintaining the simmer until done.
- Serve over al dente tagliatelle and garnish with freshly grated Pecorino-Romano or fontina cheese and a small sprinkle of oregano for a top-shelf “spaghetti and meatballs” experience. Pair with chianti or cabernet sauvignon.
- This recipe is also the basis for a memorable meatball parmigiana sandwich. Place hot meatballs (some folks like to cut them in half first) in a 6” submarine roll. Cover with the tomato gravy. Place thin slices of part-skim mozzarella on an angle so that the corners of the slices are on the bread (shredded works too if needed). Put assembled sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil on low until cheese is melted and both cheese and bread are slightly browned. Remove from broiler and serve. Pair with your go-to IPA or a glass of your favorite ice-cold cola!